The model of Chinese Calendar
New presentation of Zi Wu Liu Zhu method:
The basis for the calculation of date and time in ancient China was the cycle of 60. In this cycle, what are called 10 Stems and 12 Branches are matched together. The term Stem refers to the cyclic variations (circadian rhythms) that apply to the evolution of all natural phenomena, biologic ones included. The 12 Branches are the time units and each defines a two-hour period during the day. They also indicate the lunar months. For each Stem and Branch there is a well-established correspondence with the Five Elements and their belonging to either Yin or Yang. As such, the Stems and the Branches are associated with the Yin and Yang interdependence and the waxing and waning of the circulation of Qi and blood in the meridians. One should recall that the circulation of Qi starts in the Gall Bladder meridian at 23hours and that there is a two-hour period of waxing of Qi circulation for each principal meridian. Various methods are used to calculate the open points, which are based on the cycle of 60 and the different combinations of the Stems and Branches.
- The Zi Wu Liu Zhu method uses the Five Shu points and several options to choose from are provided based on different rationales:
Open Shu points are generated based on the interrelations between meridians as they result from the interpromoting cycle of the Five Elements and the provision that Qi circulation starts from GB 44
Each time an open Source-Yuan point is selected, adding the Luo point of the exteriorly-interiorly connected meridian will enhance the therapeutic effect. The Luo (Connecting) points are sites of convergence for the Qi of the principal meridians; therefore impairments in Qi and blood circulation can be treated accordingly.
In case the Shu point one wishes to use is not open at a certain time, applying the Five Elements interpromoting cycle to the two-hour period of waxing Qi and starting with GB 44 every 24 minutes another open Shu point is generated. When extended to the two-hour waxing time of all 12 principal meridians, this rationale provides 60 open points every day. Consequently, some points are open almost always, which gives more flexibility to open points selection.
Selecting points from the same group. According to ancient stipulations, every two Stems and Branches in a particular order belong to the same group. As such, when at a given date and time no point is open, one can use points that are open on the day and time belonging to the same group. Using points from the same group expands the selection options.
Selecting points from the Partner day. In case the point you want to use is closed because his open time has just passed, points open in the Partner day can be used. The rationale is that Stems are coupled together in pairs at an interval of five. The corresponding type of days are said to be partners. For example, what is your option if you want to use SI 1 but its time (15-17 hours) has just passed? Small Intestine belongs to Fire and so does the Heart as they are exteriorly-interiorly related. So HT 4 can be used for SI 1, which is opened in the partner day at 17-19 hours, since HT 4 is the Shu point belonging to Fire.
In the two-hour period of waxing activity in each principal meridian, any point of the meridian can be selected or points can be selected, based on the Mother-Son rule. The Mother and Son rule applies to the flow of Qi: every meridian that gives away energy is called the "Mother" and every meridian that receives energy is called the "Son". The "Mother" is tonified and the "Son" is reduced. Points can be selected from the meridian involved or from meridians generated from the interpromoting cycle.
Careful work over acupuncture rules of Zi Wu Liu Zhu open points model had lead to the construction as follow:
Here are explanations to the table:
- The whole cycle consists of two parts of 60 steps.
- The whole cycle consists of 11 areas (there are lines in the table), 10 of them have 11 steps, but the last one has only 10 steps. (The Sun has 11 years period of activity!)
- Each of 10 lines is also small cycle of 120 steps and the 11-Th step consists of only 10 substeps. The type of the first substep depends on number in decade
1. Yang of Wood
2. Yin of Wood
3. Yang of Fire
4. Yin of Fire
5. Yang of Earth
6. Yin of Earth
7. Yang of Metal
8. Yin of Metal
9. Yang of Water
10. Yin of Water
0. Fire Minister is placed between Yang of Water and Yin of Water.
This numbers are in the right column of the Table.
- Each step in cycle is also cycle of 120 supersubsteps with the same structure as the main cycle. Thus, the main cycle also has some number and relation to some Element among other large cycles.
The cell of the table has information as follow:
- Number of Steam and Branch (S1B12, S1B1 ...),
- Name of Meridian and active Qi in it (T-Water - Qi of Wood in Water Meridian). Qi have names: T - Wood Qi, F - Fire Qi, E- Earth Qi, M - Metal Qi, W - Water Qi. Meridians at Yin conditions have written form of Qi as follow: F(W), E(T) .... It means at Yin condition active Qi is found in accordance with Wu-Xing law by rule - Who is suppressing me? In case of Fire Qi the Water Qi suppresses Fire Qi - that is why we have entry F(W),
- Acupuncture point that should be activated during period of the step,
- Number of step in cycle under of above mentioned information,
Other details of cycle:
- 11 lines in the table are even (2,4,6,8,10,0) and odd (1,3,5,7,9). At even period Yin meridians are stimulated directly and Yang meridians - in accordance with Wu-Xing law by rule "Who is suppressing me?". At odd period type of activation is inversed.
- The presented structure may be imposed on any cycle in acupuncture. The Key factor is the point of rest of cycles. This information is given to users of the Pulse Metabolic Analysis (PMA). PMA users can download test version, where conditions of energies in meridians are presented in matrix "Qi disorders" (http://pulse-academy.org/en/PMA_software_1.021_En_test). At present no diagnosis system in the world can calculate deviations of definite Qi at given meridian. This work can do only Pulse Metabolic Analysis.